Sunday, March 28, 2010

Life Soundtrack - What A Good Boy

Barenaked Ladies - What A Good Boy

Freshman year of college, finally, I was discovering some new music. Went on a trip to New Mexico with some classmates. Met a boy from Louisiana who played the guitar, among other instruments. I was smitten. He didn't even notice me.

This was one of those songs that he played on that trip... when I came back to the dorm, I immediately went out to the record store and bought the CD. And maybe because of the boy, maybe not, I just heard it so much more clearly. Could hear every instrument, the guitar, the fiddle, the piano, all the instruments he played, and their parts making up the whole. My memories of those days are brightly colored with the tones of these different instruments all mixing together to make this beautiful, if cynical, song.

But isn't that how we respond to life - sometimes in awe of beauty, sometimes with a cynical eye?

It was easy to forget about the boy. But I still listen to each chorus a little more attentively, for those quiet parts that can go missed if you're not careful, the melodies in the background that add to the earnestness of the song, the notes that make it believable.

No comments: