Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Life Soundtrack: True

I figure if I'm going to call this blog what it is, I should probably post a little about those songs that are the soundtrack to *my* life. What they are, what they mean, how they all come together to describe and explain me. Some people say they are indescribable. I'm not - but you have to hear that music to know the story.

We'll start with junior high. 1992.
Spandau Ballet - True

Sunset on a summer weekday, pinks and golds filtered through the miniblinds, the last rays of sun creating the setting. I was sitting alone in my room because that's what teenagers do. But while most were talking on the phone or thinking about what will happen tomorrow, I sat there in my nostalgia of the few years I had already experienced. I was still young enough to remember what it was like when reality wasn't filtered by experience yet, but not so young that I still looked at life through those all-seeing lenses. And I thought days of being four or five years old, knowing this song at that young age. I don't remember hearing it for the first time - this song was just always present, as far back as I can remember.

The song is calm, it's backwards-looking, it's the doorway to that world of endless possibility and unfiltered life. It's syncopated synths and deep, pure voices. It is the sound of my soul, although the words have never really moved me nearly as much as the music does.

This is an evening song...
a song for seeking peace...
a song for the calm times...
the past-oriented times...
my first taste of nostalgia.

No comments: