Saturday, February 27, 2010

Life Soundtrack: Sin Miedo

They say there are two kinds of people in the world - lyrics people and music people. I always thought I was the first kind, but as this and the previous song show, maybe I'm not. Or maybe you really can't make the distinction.



Rewind back to junior year of high school for this one. I was going through a very, uh, awkward music phase, where I pretty much listened to Celine Dion all the time. Lucky for me, those who knew me well were doing their best to get me out of this rut, but no one more so than my sister, whose life's mission, it seemed, was to learn about good music and share it with others. I have met many such people in my life, and now I am one of them.

My sister was studying Spanish, and had recently discovered the local Spanish pop station. And as was the custom in the 90s, we would tape our favorite songs off the radio. This was one of those songs, and the one I listened to most often off those tapes. I really didn't understand a lot of Spanish - just what I had picked up from Sesame Street and from my grandparents, who lived in Spain. So I understood about a dozen words from this song, and they were all in the chorus. But that was really all I needed at the time. You can get the 'feel' of the song from just that and the music - it always served as a "motivational" song for me.

How motivational? This song was on probably 90% of the mix CDs I made throughout college and afterwards - usually as track one. It was my way of saying "I am here, the party can start now."

And throughout all this time, I never bothered to look up the lyrics on the Internet or ask my sister to translate or anything.
It was what it was.

My Spanish has improved greatly over the last few years, and I started understanding bits and pieces - but when you listen to a song you don't understand for years and years, your brain can't figure out the words, even if you know the language well. (I still can't make out the lyrics to a number of Journey songs!) So when I started picking up these bits and pieces, I wanted to know what the song was really about. So I looked up the lyrics online. And when I read them and understood them for the first time, I knew what the song was about and what it meant to me.

Now, this song was not my own song of motivation, something to take into myself, it was advice. It was me being able to take my own life and experience and pass them on to those who come after me. It's me arriving at a place of wisdom after so many years of learning and passing on that wisdom - and the music - to others.

Here's the lyrics and my translation (which may not be literal or even totally accurate.. I don't have a Spanish degree :>)

En tu rincón protector
Se te ve como un rey
Luces muy bien en tu cómoda piel
Pero yo se, que te va,
que te va muy mal
la vida es una mujer
una belleza tan difícil de conquistar
para ganar su voluntad
tienes que ser un huracán

In your protective little corner
I see you as if you were a king
You're looking good, comfortable with yourself
But I know that you're not doing well at all
Life is like a woman,
A beauty that's hard to conquer
To win her consent, you have to be a hurricane

Sin Miedo, por fin atrévete
Sin Miedo, esta vez, sorpréndeme
Sin Miedo, con fe, con decisión
Sin Miedo, lánzate igual que yo

Without any fear - just dare yourself
This time, surprise me
With faith, with certainty
Throw yourself out there like I would

Tu corazón dice no
A llorar, o a reír
Es un error, un estúpido error
Abrazar nada mas, a la soledad
Sal por ahí, vuelve a sentir
La melodía de los sueños de libertad
Para perder, para ganar
Hay que jugar hasta el final

Your heart says no to crying or laughing
This is a mistake, a stupid mistake
To never hold someone again, to be alone
Get out of there, go back to feeling
The melody of the dreams of freedom
In order to lose or to win
You have to play until the end

1 comment:

mavila said...

[quote](I still can't make out the lyrics to a number of Journey songs!) [/quote]

Heaven is to find a moose, hiding somewhere in the niiiiiiiiiiight

Also, I'd translate "Abrazar nada más la soledad" as "Embracing nothing but your loneliness"